Communication is paramount in smart living environments for elders. While there are numerous preexisting network communication applications in the world, elders need special features:
- Video communication
- Easy-to-use, symbolic user interface
- Ability to trigger alerts in emergency situations
- Ability to call for remote medical assistance
We developed a videophone application with the following components:
- Basic network communication module. Currently, we have modules, one utilizing Netmeeting 3.01 SDK and the other using Skype API 2.0.
- Speech synthesis module, providing voice instructions and descriptions to the user.
- Voice recognition module (based on Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1) is developed to realize voice control.
- Multi-mode user interface
- Mouse selection
- Touch screen selection
- Voice command control
- Mixture interactive mode
- Interact with fall detection application to place emergent call directly when elder falls.
Demo 2 - Hat Scenario